1. What is the advantages of "The Special Marriage Act, 1872"?

Answer: The following Marriages registered under The Special Marriage Act, 1872 shall fulfill the requirements of Spouse Visa & Immigration Rules.

a. Marriages between Bangladeshi and Foreigner regardless of any religion.
b. Marriages between Foreigners regardless of any religion.

2. Is Marriages registered under The Special Marriage Act, 1872 valid marriage?

Answer: Yes. 

3. What are the Conditions upon which marriages under "The Special Marriage Act, 1872" may be celebrated?

Answer: Bridegroom must have completed his age of 21 and bride her age of 18, according to the Gregorian calendar.

4. What are the documents required?

Answer: Documents Checklist for Special Marriage Registration is as follows:

a. A CV of Bridegroom and Bride (if available).
b. Birth Certificate of Bridegroom and Bride.
c. National ID (NID) / State ID Card of Bridegroom and Bride.
d. Name and Telephone / Mobile Number of Father and Mother of bridegroom and bride.
e. Proof of Address of a District within either bridegroom or bride has resided for 14 days before “Notice of Marriage” is given to the Registrar.
f. 4 Passport Size Photograph of Bridegroom and Bride each.
g. Name, Father and Mother's Name, address of three Witnesses, 2 Passport Size photograph, Copy of National ID (if available) of each witness.
h. Divorce Decree / Divorce Certificate of Previous Marriage(s) (if applicable).
i. If the bridegroom and/or bride is a Foreigner scanned original copy of Passport including last Bangladesh arrival date seal page of passport.
j. If the bridegroom and/or bride is a Foreigner scanned original copy of Visa / Work Permit including expiry date page.                                                                                     k. Employment / Business Documents of Foreigner in Bangladesh (if any).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Both Bridegroom and Bride must send all required materials as stated herein above to our email address marriage.registrar.bd@gmail.com in PDF / JPEG format before giving "Notice of Marriage". The Original Copy of aforesaid materials should be brought with bridegroom and bride at the time of registration of marriage to compare / verify scanned copy. 

5. How to initialize the marriage under this Act?

Answer: When a marriage is intended to be solemnized under this Act, one of the parties (Either bridegroom or bride) must give notice in writing as per first schedule of this act to the Registrar before 14 days of registration of marriage.

6. Where can the marriage be solemnized?

Answer: The marriage be solemnized either at the office of the Registrar or at such other place, within reasonable distance of the Registrar and the additional fees to be paid thereupon.

7. Does it require any witness to solemnize the marriage?

Answer: The marriage shall be solemnized in the presence of the Registrar and of the three witnesses who sign to the Declaration and Marriage Certificate.

8. Is there any punishment of bigamy?

Answer: Every person marriage under this Act who, during the life time of his/her wife or husband, contract may other marriage shall be subject to the penalties.

9. Is there any penalty for signing declaration of certificates containing false statement?

Answer: Every person making, signing or attesting any declaration of certificate prescribe by this Act, containing a statement which is false shall be deemed guilty of the offence described in section 199 of the Penal Code.

10. How the occasion is celebrated?

Answer: The parties should arrange refreshment for the witness, Registrar and the others who remain present at the moment.

11. Which Divorce Act be applied?

Answer: The Divorce Act 1869 shall apply to all marriages contracted under this Act.

Widget Title Here

Disclaimer: The information in this web site does not constitute legal advice. We make no guarantees about the accuracy or adequacy of the information contained or linked to this web site.

Copyright © 2015, Office of The Special Marriage Registrar. Webmail || Admin Login